At Anokhi Dental, we are highly aware of the potential for excess exposure to mercury when removing amalgam fillings.
It is important that these fillings be removed using certain simple, protective measures. In order to help reduce the amount of toxic mercury exposure to both patients and staff during amalgam removal, we follow specific guidelines.
An “amalgam filling” is an alloy (mixture) of silver, tin and copper which is combined with an equal amount of mercury. The “silver” fillings in your mouth contain about 50% mercury. Amalgam has been used as a filling material in teeth since the early 1800’s as it has been long regarded as strong, cheap and easy to use. It is widely accepted around the world now that mercury is a highly toxic heavy metal.
Contrary to previous belief, numerous scientific studies have shown that amalgam fillings can release significant amounts of mercury over the lifetime of the filling. There is current concern in the wider community, particularly the World Health Organization in regards to safe levels, if any, to mercury exposure. Several European countries including Germany, Norway, Sweden and Denmark have stopped using mercury amalgam as a filling material in recent years.
Anokhi Dentists follow guidelines that are laid out by the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology’s (IAOMT) SMART.
SMART is the Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique, which is a set of safety measures to reduce mercury exposures during dental amalgam filling removal. These safety measures were developed as a result of scientific research collected by the IAOMT. At Anokhi Dental we are SMART accredited to ensure your protection when having mercury amalgam fillings removed.
These protocols include:
Use of a latex-free rubber dam, so that amalgam pieces and vapours are less likely to be ingested.
A separate air supply is provided over the nose in order to minimise inhalation of toxic mercury vapour.
Use of a DentAirVac vacuum system is designed specifically to remove and filter potentially toxic vapours away from the immediate breathing area of the patient, dentist and dental assistant.
A specific single use drill is used to shatter amalgam, minimising vapour release.
Maximum suction and irrigation with copious water spray are also applied. This keeps the temperature of the metal down.
Negative Ion Generators are fitted throughout the clinic to minimize mercury vapour in the clinic and air is ducted outside of the building rather than being re-circulated.
Heavy Metal (Mercury) Detoxification
Alongside any amalgam removal, we recommend following a heavy metal (mercury) detoxification protocol. Simply having amalgam fillings removed from the mouth does not ensure removal of mercury from different parts of the body, where it can be stored. Certain foods, herbs, vitamins and other compounds have the ability to chelate (bind) to mercury and facilitate its removal from the body.
We suggest you consult with an integrative medical doctor who will carry out a thorough medical assessment for you and supervise your mercury detoxification. This will be discussed with you at your initial visit. We are also happy to work with any practitioner(s) you are under the care of.